Tuesday, January 27, 2015
Back in November I was given this book by my lovely Mexican friend Ana. With a busy work schedule before Christmas I hadn't been able to read this book properly. Today is my second day reading this amazing book by Sarah Wilson, which is so insightful on how sugar can be so harmful to our bodies in so many ways. I am going to give it a try and give up sugar, so far on my second day and I'm doing OK although I know I'm going to have a tough journey ahead since I have a very sweet tooth! I shall try some recipes and let you know how I'm doing.
If you are also up for the challenge you can read more about Sarah's bestselling book here.
Monday, January 19, 2015
Have you ever had one of days when you don't have many ingredients in the kitchen cupboard and try and come up with an inventive recipe? It happens to me often, sometimes it is not successful and other times is a pleasant surprise! Today I had one of those days. I had one butternut squash one sweet potato, one red chili and a carton of coconut cream I thought to give it a try combining all these ingredients for a winter hearty soup which it turned out to be a delicious combo, so here I'm sharing my recipe with you-I hope you like it.
Serves 3 to 4 people
Duration 30-40 mins
2 tbs olive oil
1 large onion
1 small red chili
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
400 g butternut squash, diced
400 g sweet potato, diced
900 ml vegetable Stock
3 tbs coconut cream
1. In a large pan heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onion, chili and garlic with a pinch of salt and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until soft and translucent but make sure they do not go brown.
2. Add the diced sweet potato and butternut squash and cook for about 5 minutes before adding the vegetable stock. Cover the pan and cook for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
3. Season with salt and pepper to personal taste and add the coconut cream.
4. Puree the soup in a blender and can also leave it a little bit chunky.
5. Garnish with a dollop of coconut cream and herbs or your choice such as coriander.